Skip to main content

Who really owns color?

Photo by Alexander Grey: https://www.pexels.com/photo/person-with-body-painting-1209843/

 



As all we know, our world is full of colors. What is your favorite color? My favorite one is Green. I don't know why but I really like green. Let me know yours in the comment section.


However, this post is not about our favorite colors, from childhood I wondered, what color is and how color is made. As I grew, I realized we see colors as a result of reflection. I'm pretty sure that everyone who reads this knows it very well.


When light is collapsed with an atom, the atom absorbs specific energy. it doesn't absorb every radiation that carries different energy levels. For instance, imagine that there is an atom that absorbs every absorbs every energy level but without the radiation of 450 nm wavelength. So, only that radiation comes to our eyes and we are able to see the blue color. That is how we see an object in blue.  


But my question is, what if we provide all the other radiations without blue? Then what would be the color of the above object? Please let me know in the comment section. I guess we will see a black object instead of the blue one. I'm not sure because I didn't do an experiment.


As the object is not blue anymore, we cannot say the blue color is a property of the object or its atom. Then is it a property of the light? I don't think so. If it were a property of light then we would be able to see it without the object. 


So, I think color is neither a property of objects nor is it a property of light. Color is a property of the collapse between objects and light. What is your conclusion? Let me know in the comment section.


Please note that I am an ordinary student who has no wide knowledge of Physics. But I love to learn and hear your opinions.

Comments